Our Racial Justice Book Clubs Are Back!
Join us in July to discuss This Book is Anti-Racist. Classes will meet in-person at YWCA of Grand Island on July 8, 15, 22, and 29 from 7-8 PM. The registration fee is $20; you’ll receive a book and a journal with your registration!
10 Ways You Can Eliminate Racism
- Support anti-prejudice and anti-racist organizations.
Whether it’s volunteer work, financial support, or your voice. You can make a difference!
- BE a proactive parent.
Expose your children to diversity.
- Explore services, programs, and classes that are unfamiliar to you.
The first-hand experience can be enlightening and give perspective.
- Work on projects with groups who are different from your own.
Working as equals on a common project is the best way to undo prejudices.
- Don’t make assumptions.
Examine your prejudices and make adjustments to your thinking.
- Be a positive role model.
Be vocal in opposing discriminatory views. Don’t criticize, educate.
- Think before you speak.
Words can hurt, whether you mean them to or not.
- Learn about others and their cultures.
By learning about other people, your life will be enriched.
- Make an effort to get to know those who are different than you.
Look for things in common and celebrate differences.
- Don’t laugh at racist, sexist, or any other stereotypical jokes.
Don’t let your silence speak for you, simply say, “I didn’t find that funny.”